By Kari Lutes, Features Editor

We all were taught by the great Christmas philosopher, Buddy the Elf, that “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” Buddy’s cheerful philosophy won’t go over well, however, if you happen to be spreading Christmas cheer at 2 a.m. while your roommate is studying for an 8 a.m. final exam. With this in mind, I’ve compiled a list of other options for spreading Christmas cheer during finals week that won’t make your roommate feel like a Scrooge.

1.   Baking Christmas Goodies

Christmas time should always smell like cookies baking in the oven, and besides that baking is a great stress relief. What better way to take a break from cramming for your Old Testament exam than baking sugar cookies? You can find Christmas cookie packages everywhere, so pick one up on your next grocery trip, and when you’re feeling the need for Christmas cheer, take a 15-minute study break and pop them in the oven. Trust me, a warm cookie is the best fuel for late-night study sessions.

1.   Peppermint Everything

Nothing tastes more like Christmas than chocolate and peppermint. During the holiday season, peppermint is everywhere, in coffee, hot chocolate and brownies. There’s nothing like the fresh scent and taste to put you in the Christmas spirit. Peppermint is also known to boost memory and brain power, so splurging on that peppermint hot chocolate or buying some peppermint lotion can actually help you in studying for finals.

1.   Christmas Decorations

There are a lot of different options when it comes to decorating your dorm room for Christmas. A few go to items are a wreath, small tree and Christmas lights. You can find all these things at places like Walmart or Target, and they’re not too pricey. Head out with your roommate and pick out a few decorations you both love and can use in the years to come. The glowing lights and twinkling Christmas ornaments will color your last few weeks of school in a whimsical light—even when you’re up late struggling for words for that last research paper.

1.   Christmas Sweaters

Whether you prefer your Christmas sweaters classy or goofy, nothing puts you more in the mood for Christmas that being wrapped in the cozy bulk of your favorite Christmas sweater. If you don’t have a Christmas sweater you can check goodwill for your choice of crazy or cute or try Kohls—last year I got mine for only $3 during a great holiday sale. Throw your sweater on before the final you dread most and it will instantly turn your day around.

1.   Christmas Movie Study Breaks

Sometimes you reach the point of no return during a study session. When this happens, give yourself a break and check Netflix for a Christmas classic. Netflix has a full selection of holiday favorites, like “Miracle on 34th Street,” “White Christmas” and “Frosty the Snowman,” and the classic cartoons like “Frosty” are only about 45 minutes long—the perfect length for a finals study break.