To Be Certain of the Dawn: Chorale to collaborate with Lexington Philharmonic in remembrance piece

By Katie Ellington, Staff Writer

The Asbury University Chorale will be joining the Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra Nov. 11 for a performance of “To Be Certain of the Dawn,” an oratorio inspired by significant historical events. It is a piece of remembrance that was first performed 60 years after the liberation of Nazi death camps and 40 years after the Second Vatican Council released “Nostra Aetate,” a declaration that condemned the blaming of the Jewish people for the death of Christ.

“This piece is really emotional because it is inspired by the Holocaust,” said sophomore Noel Endicott. “It is eerie and raw, which is what makes it so beautiful. The composer really tried to capture the voices of the Jews throughout the piece.”

The Chorale has been working on the piece since the second week of classes. The oratorio, written by American composer Stephen Paulus, is written mostly in English but also has sections in German and Hebrew, according to Chorale Director Vicki Bell.

“I like that the piece is very dissonant and challenging for us as a choir,” said junior Mary Grace Addington. “The dissonance and instability of the song makes you think about the message it’s sending.”

“It’s very different from your typical concert piece, but it is worth listening to because of the story it tells,” said Endicott.

The Chorale is not the only choir that will be participating. Chorale will be singing alongside choirs from Berea College, Centre College and the Danville Children’s Chorus.

“It is a great experience to go outside of Asbury and create something with other groups who are just as passionate,” said sophomore Andrew McPherson.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]The Chorale has been working on the piece since the second week of classes.[/perfectpullquote]

The performance will start at 7:30 p.m. at the Singletary Center for the Arts on the campus of the University of Kentucky. Bell recommends attire that is “business casual or better.”

Asbury students can receive discounted tickets for only $11 by calling the Lexington Philharmonic’s ticket office at 859-233-4226. Faculty and staff, as well as friends and family of Chorale members, can receive a 20 percent discount on regularly priced adult tickets by entering the discount code “choir” online.