“Digi-Books” wins Asbury Project

By Bria Isaacson, News Editor

“Digi-Books,” a digital hybrid book publishing business created by Asbury University senior Josh Moon, won The Asbury Project competition on Nov. 11.

The Asbury Project is a business conference and competition run through the collaborative efforts of Asbury University’s Howard Dayton School of Business and Asbury Theological Seminary (ATS).

Business Professor Kevin Brown said that several “thought leaders in the realm of faith, work, development and entrepreneurship” spoke, including Dwight Gibson, chief executive officer (CEO) of The Exploration Group; Chris Horst, vice president of development at HOPE International; and Lonnie Riley, director at Meridzo Center Ministries. This conference aspect had a purpose “to edify all participants and provide a new and innovative lens by which to conceptualize faith and work,” Brown said.

The competition aspect of the event encouraged students to create and pursue a business venture and awarded the most promising with money to help them launch their ideas, according to Brown.

“As an event, The Asbury Project not only combines faith and business, but explores social entrepreneurship and the theological underpinnings that animate kingdom-minded initiatives,” Brown said.

In order to win, students first had to register their business plans online. These were evaluated and the top five from Asbury University and the top five from ATS were invited to give a live presentation at The Asbury Project conference, according to Brown.

Business plans had to not only detail a sustainable business but also were required to fill a social need. Sophomore Austin Blevins designed “First Step Recycling” to do just that through a recycling company that would hire and mentor people recovering from drug addictions in his hometown of Greenup, Kentucky.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]As an event, The Asbury Project not only combines faith and business, but explores social entrepreneurship and the theological underpinnings that animate kingdom-minded initiatives.[/perfectpullquote]

In an article on Asbury University’s website, Blevins said, “You always hear negative things about Greenup, how terrible it is with drugs and poverty, but I want people to be able to see the goodness of it.”

Out of these ten business ventures, Moon won the grand prize of $3,000, which addresses “the social problem of the decline in book reading and focuses on digit-oral learners and also those with dyslexia,” according to Moon.

In addition, sophomore Blevins won Asbury University’s first prize and $2,000. “My ID,” which consists of junior Emmaly Gillis, senior Amber Lewis, 2016 Asbury University graduate Jonathan Wilson, Ted Amstutz and Stephanie Beltran, won Asbury University’s second place prize of $1,500.

ATS also had first and second place prize winners: Milton and Synolve Craft with “Sow Green” and Deb Adams with “Gracie’s Place.”

Moon, the grand prize winner, has entered The Asbury Project competition annually since his sophomore year. Two years ago, he pitched ByGrace Designs to fight human sex trafficking in West Africa. Last year, he pitched The Carpenter Shop to help college students learn the business of carpentry and “intentional workplace discipleship,” he said. This year, he pitched Digi-Books and won.

With the money he won from winning The Asbury Project competition, Moon plans on obtaining camera equipment and lighting to set up a studio.

Moon said his experience with The Asbury Project has taught him how faith correlates with his work.

“I have been able to see first-hand how significant this field is, and how, if leveraged with the gospel in mind, it can radically impact peoples’ lives,” he said. “Social entrepreneurship can be a tool chest to engage our culture and leave a kingdom-level impact. The Asbury Project has broadened my view that we all have special abilities and talents that God has gifted us with.”