Baseball team hopes Halloween game is start of a new campus tradition

By Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

Batman may not be known for his fastball, but he might be after the baseball team’s inaugural Halloween game set to take place on Oct. 31. The caped crusader will be joined by a whole host of other characters, as the team will face off in an intrasquad scrimmage in full costume this Halloween.

“I don’t think anyone has seen an event like this live,” said senior catcher Matt Cohick, a member of the team that helped get the game organized. After seeing the success of similar events at larger state schools, the team decided that a version of their own would be a good way to create more campus involvement with the baseball team.

By passing out free candy and having a fan costume contest, the team hopes that the game serves as a good spot for students to start off their Halloween celebrations. Besides the antics on the field, the team will be passing out free candy and giving away a prize for the best fan costume. “I want it to be an annual thing. It’ll be fun and something to bring new life and a new name to the program,” said sophomore Brady Ast.

While many were quick to get on board, the prospect of running around in costumes was a tough sell for others. “Some of them were skeptical at first,” said sophomore Nicholas Collier. But even those were quickly converted, with the lineup of characters growing to include the likes of Patrick Star, Hulk Hogan and Buddy the Elf.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]By passing out free candy and having a fan costume contest, the team hopes that the game serves as a good spot for students to start off their Halloween celebrations.[/perfectpullquote]

“Going out and playing our costumes takes some guts and silliness,” said Cohick, “once we sat everyone in a room, and continued to spread along that this is actually going to happen, more guys were on board and excited for the game. Now it’s all we talk about.”

With the possibility of the game turning into a long-term legacy, the team is hoping that the first night is one that campus will enjoy and want more of. “Have fun with it,” Ast said. “Come out and watch some baseball, eat some candy and celebrate Halloween! Wear your costumes and have a good time.”

The game is scheduled to take place at 5 p.m. on Halloween night at the Kirkland complex.