2016 Fall Break Playlist

By Kari Lutes, Features Editor
Fall break is here and with it comes road trips, whether they be back home or to someplace new. Driving for hours is one of the best times to discover new songs or belt out some old favorites. Wherever you find yourself this fall break, enjoy this playlist of oldies but goodies or new discoveries the Collegian staff has put together to ensure your fall break is filled with tunes that keep you exploring.

Kari Lutes, Features Editor

I prefer songs that start out slow and can get me thinking, especially when I know I have a long drive in front of me. Driving can often be a thoughtful and spiritual experience, and I think each of these songs are perfect for setting the tone for a little bit of thoughtfulness in the midst of letting loose for fall break. It also helps that they all have a refrain that’s belt-worthy to lighten the mood.

“Sleep on the Floor” The Lumineers

“Hold On” Judah and the Lion

“A Moment’s Grace” Boy & Bear

Hannah Schultz, Executive Editor

My taste in music is very eclectic — country to alternative, and just about everything in between. For long drives, I prefer songs with a killer chorus that I know all the words to, so it’s easy to both bust out a music-video worthy solo and not die while cruising at 75 mph on the interstate.

“Things We Lost In the Fire” by Bastille

“House of Gold” by twenty one pilots

“7 Years” by Lukas Graham

Matthew Pertz, Opinion Editor

On road trips, I prefer listening to a whole album as opposed to individual songs. Records give artists the chance to really expound on a theme or emotion, as opposed to being limited to a single song. So below I’ve listed three great songs from three phenomenal albums, ranging from beach rock to 90s pop.

“Horizon” by Real Estate (from Atlas)

“Time” by Hootie & the Blowfish (from Cracked Rear View)

“2/14” by The Band CAMINO (from My Thoughts on You EP)

Robin Gericke, Managing Editor

When I go on road trips, I listen to a wide variety of music. These are the songs I imagine listening to driving on roads lined by trees in full fall foliage. While upbeat, they are calmer than the blaring tunes of summer.

“Faded” by Alan Walker

“Dwell” by Harvest

“i hate u, i love u” by gnash

Elijah Lutz, Copy Editor

I love music, but I have found it very hard, as of late, to find any particular genre of music that is consistently good. This past summer, I listened to a radio station back home that played a lot of alternative, and as much as I hate to admit it, I really liked it. These are a few of the ones that they played that I loved, including a local band among them!

“Slowly, Slowly” by The Mowgli’s

“Crown” by Nick D’ and the Believers

“Burn the Witch” by Radiohead

Hannah Stafford, News Editor

I am a music major, so my road trips always include belting out Broadway show tunes. While there are plenty of the classic soundtracks that range from dialogue and dance breaks to purely operatic, there are also a multitude of musicals that incorporate “pop style” and appeal to a wider audience. I like a good mix of everything.

“Cool” from West Side

“Alexander Hamilton” from Hamilton

“Good Mornin'” from Singin’ in the Rain 

Kaiser Shaffer, Creative Director

My optimal fall road trip is full of rainy, overcast days and introspection. That being the case, my favorite songs to listen to are on the softer side, laced with warmth and comfort. Take some time with these songs to watch the wind pass through golden branches or to ponder the spirit of autumnal renewal.

“Kids” by Scott Orr

“C’est La Vie” by Bibio

“Face Like Thunder” by The Japanese House

Kayla Lutes, Features Editor

My picks are a type of road rage cure-all. We’ll start on an introspective note, think about grace then get happy. Enjoy the tunes and enjoy the ride.

“More Heart, Less Attack” by NEEDTOBREATHE

“Where the Light Shines Through” by Switchfoot

“Cat” by Relient K

Markus Cook, Graphic Designer

I’ve got a new record from Bon Iver here, something a fresh from Frank Ocean, and some minimal pop from a new indie band, Wet. I think these are all great songs for the gray skies and brisk weather that’s starting to descend on us. It’s impossible to stay out of your feels, so why not dive in with a good soundtrack?

“29 #Strafford APTS” by Bon Iver

“Self Control” by Frank Ocean

“These Days” by Wet

Sarah Anthony, Web Editor

Fall is my favorite time of the year and my music taste is mainly acoustic. Fall and acoustic music just mix for me, and make my drive home through the mountains really cathartic. Making playlists of many genres is one of my hobbies, but I’ve chosen some of my indie acoustic favorites to encompass fall break.

“For Emma” Bon Iver

“He Doesn’t Know Why” Fleet Foxes

“Fun Times in Babylon” Father John Misty

Olivia Vinson, Photo Editor

When I think of fall break, I think of driving down (or rather, up) I-75 to my home in Michigan on an overcast, brisk day. I think of taking comfort in curling up next to the fire with my dog and some of my mom’s delicious white chicken chili. Whether you’re going home or going on a road trip adventure with your friends for fall break, my playlist has some of the folk comfort from The Oh Hellos, haunting melodic lines from John Mark McMillan, and fun, lilting sounds from Liza Anne to accompany you as your soundtrack.

“I Have Made Mistakes” by The Oh Hellos

“Wilderlove” by John Mark McMillan

“Ireland” by Liza Anne

Rachel Terry, Opinion Editor

My road trips usually consist of three phases: contemplating the meaning of life, making big decisions and just jamming out to pass the time. In order to create the perfect atmosphere for all three of these scenarios, I have selected three very different songs that I cannot help but play whenever I am in the car for more than an hour.

“On & On” by Mat Kearney

“The Voyage” by Amanda Cook

“Don’t Look Down” by Martin Garrix & Usher