Activities App unveiled to students

By Bria Isaacson, News Editor

Asbury University released an activities app earlier this week. It was released on Aug. 25 to faculty and staff, and then to students on Aug. 29. This app will help students to stay up-to-date on events from many different programs on campus, including chapel, Student Activities Board (SAB), athletics and spiritual life.

According to Heather Tyner, assistant director for student leadership development, “The Asbury Activities App began as an idea last year with Ben Garverick, student activities board vice president, and other students on SAB who wanted to find a better way to get the word out about events happening on campus.”

Rather than using all of the various types of media, such as emails, Instagram, posters and Facebook, Tyner and the students wanted to create a “centralized hub for the variety of events happening across campus.”

The best component of the app, according to Tyner, is its personalized schedule capability. Students can not only use filters to find events that interest them, but they can also read event descriptions and add interesting events to their schedules. Doing this allows students to receive push notifications on their phones, as well as to see the events in their Outlook or Google calendars, so that no one misses an event that they want to attend.

“The hope is that it will be easier to see what’s happening, attend fun events around campus and encourage a flourishing community through these programs,” Tyner said.