Four new coaches join Asbury’s team

Leann Dahlstein

Women’s Basketball Coach

Alma Mater: Kentucky Christian

How would you describe your coaching style? 

Very involved. I’ll be my team’s biggest cheerleader but am able to motivate and push when it’s necessary.

What goals do you have for your team this year? 

Our goals are simple: win the conference and return to the National Tournament. We plan on going further than last year.

What are some of your favorite things to do outside of your sport? 

Go to movies and work out. I really like spending time with my friends and family as well.

IMG_2802-web

Nicki Stewart

Women’s Lacrosse Coach

Alma Mater: Towson University

I’d describe my coaching style as intense but motivational. I like making things look positive, but not sugarcoating things. The girls on the team would probably say I’m direct and honest, but I try to meet them where they are so they will always know what to expect from me. I do this with the hope that I can expect the same from them.

My goals I have for our team is to really grow, but also work more cohesively as a team. As far as records go, I’d like to go .500, splitting our wins and losses. We are a third year program so I’m not expecting for us to make leaps, but I am expecting more. Winning the games we’re supposed to win, as well as making some upsets for the games we’re not set up to win. I think building a successful program is not all about jumping in with tons on W’s on your record; it’s about building a foundation.

My favorite things to do outside of the sport are definitely spend time with my husband and our three daughters. I enjoy reading, being active, running, taking workout classes, going for walks and hikes. I recently discovered painting and redoing furniture is awesome and just being around people.

Ron Anderson

Softball Coach

Alma Mater: Bethel University

I would say that on the field I am conservative on defense and aggressive on offense specializing in small ball. I love using the bunt and running the bases aggressively to put pressure on the other team. The big hit is nice, but you have to be able to manufacture offense when the big hit is not there. On defense, we will rely on solid pitching and fundamental defense.

Asbury softball has not had a winning season since 2011, so the first goal in our rebuilding plan will be to have a winning season in 2017.

I have four college-age children, so family life takes up a lot of time, but I love to read, do yard work and follow the Chicago Cubs!

IMG_2808-web

Anna Eastman

Cheerleading Coach

Alma Mater: University of West Alabama

As a leader, I try to bridge the gap between my athletes’ goals, and what they are capable of, or open and willing to do. Cheerleading is very much a team sport, and I have a very strong belief in the saying “many hands make for light work”. As a result, I prefer to work alongside them to create an encouraging and supportive environment, one in which they are confident enough to step outside their comfort zone to do things they never thought possible.

Of course as cheerleaders, one of our goals is to pump up and entertain the crowd at AU basketball games. We also want to build an advanced skill set that sets up apart from other teams. Other goals I have for the team is for each one of us to grow personally and spiritually.

What are some of your favorite things to do outside your sport?

In my spare time, I enjoy photography, spending time outfdoors, as well as taking group exercise classes and going to the gym with my husband.