What is SNATS?

Hannah Stafford, Staff Writer

At the beginning of each fall semester, the front green is filled for an afternoon with a variety of tables and displays representing student clubs and organizations on campus. With so many options, it is impossible for students to connect with every single one; however, for those who are interested in music, particularly attending shows, there is one club that could be well worth their time.

SNATS, which stands for the Students’ National Association of Teachers of Singing, began as a resource for young music educators but has recently branched far beyond that. Now any members, musicians or not, can enjoy its benefits.

“We’re more about enriching all music enthusiasts,” said Ellen Packer, senior and officer of SNATS. “As a group, we get discounted tickets to see symphonies, operas and musicals in Lexington, Louisville and even Cincinnati.”

Over the course of this year, SNATS has been to see the Mozart opera Cosi Fan Tutte, as well as the popular Broadway musical Newsies, which nearly 30 AU students attended. In the upcoming months, they plan to take a group to see Madame Butterfly. There are five officer members for SNATS: Cynthia Berggren, Christa Neal, Ellen Packer, Sarah Grace Bloyd and Aubrey Carman (president), and the faculty advisor is Professor Jill Campbell.

“SNATS is really fun and has a great group of people,” said Packer. “I’ve been a member for three years and it’s really worth the cost.” The membership fee is $10 and is used to reimburse drivers and make down payments on tickets. The only regret regarding SNATS was from Carman who said, “I have only been a member for two years, but wish I had done it every year.”

“It’s so easy to be busy with all the music things we have to do for school that we forget to enjoy music,” said president Aubry Carman, a music major. “SNATS gives me opportunities to remember what’s so great about music. Also you get to go with friends so it’s a guaranteed fun time!” Despite holding that particular appeal to music majors, SNATS is open to anyone with an interest in attending these shows.

“I love how SNATS gives us the opportunity to experience fantastic musicals and operas,” said freshman Tinson Lam. “Sitting in a theatrical space among people who appreciate the fine arts and experiencing it live is definitely different from watching clips on YouTube or listening to Spotify.”

“I love that SNATS brings students together. It is run by students who love music and want to share that love with the rest of campus,” said Cynthia Berggren, Vice-president of SNATS. “By taking a group of students to see the shows that we have, they get the opportunity to connect with each other while enjoying a terrific evening.”