The Art of Hospitality

By Matthew Jackson, Opinion Editor

It has been a long standing Asbury tradition for Junior class cabinets to organize and facilitate the Junior/Senior formal. This act of hospitality was seen at its finest for this year’s occasion. The Anchored class cabinet began planning the “What a Wonderful World” themed event months in advance, and their efforts showed to be a success.

Growing up in the southern half of the United States, the importance of hospitality was a core value to my household. My parents always taught me the importance of going the extra mile when entertaining guests. I was able to see the joy that came in serving others in this way. Hospitality has the power to change perceptions. In a generation full of political divide and moral conflict, acts of hospitality hold the potential for uniting the divides we so often let define our relationships.

As I was dancing in the large crowd of upperclassmen moving to their favorite songs, I took a moment to look up and notice an important detail – in case you did not notice while you were at the dance, 70 handmade airplanes hung over the heads of guests as they enjoyed the night. The more I began to look around, the more I realized the thought and planning that must have gone into this evening.

After the event, I began to ask those I knew on the Junior class cabinet about the planning that went into the night. Anchored class Female Activities Director, Lizzy Sherwood, explained to me the intricacy of the detail that I first noticed. She explained how the cabinet took the time to fold all 70 paper airplanes by hand, and then glue each individual plane to several different strands of plastic wire. This decoration reminded me of the impact that a thoughtful detail can have an individual. Often times it is easy to let these details go unnoticed. However, in a generation desperately in need of hospitality, these details should be admired.

I would challenge students to find small ways that can have a hospitable impact on their community. Whether this means buying a friend dinner at a classy restaurant in Lexington, or asking someone who needs an encouraging friend on a coffee date, there are many ways we can begin to practice hospitality in this stage of life. I would also challenge for students to admire the details that go into the little things. By recognizing and showing gratitude towards the details in life I have seen first hand the impact we can have on ourselves and others. Our God has shown us hospitality in the details of His creation. I would encourage us to do the same.