Weekly Recaps: 3/25

Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

Women’s Lacrosse

Mar. 23- It was always going to be difficult for the Eagles against Georgetown College, the team currently ranked second in the NAIA. The Tigers leapt out to a five-goal lead within the game’s first five minutes while the Eagles struggled to keep up. Freshman Alex George and sophomore Elise Shin each scored to pull the score a little closer, but it turned into a runaway as the Georgetown attack kept a tight control over the flow of the game. The game ended with a final score of 22-4 after Shin and sophomore teammate Rachel Manieri scored late in the second period.

The Eagles will look to get back on their feet when they play Columbia College at home on April 1.

Baseball

Mar. 23- This season has seen the change the baseball team has been hoping for. With their 6-2 win over Kentucky State University, the team has improved to 12-9 for the year. It’s the most wins by an Asbury baseball team in three years and this year’s team still has half of their season left to play.

Against KSU, the game started slow, with both teams scoring a run apiece in the game’s first two innings. After a deadlock at 2-2, the game broke open in the bottom of the sixth when a single from sophomore DJ Perkins allowed senior Andrew Moran to score and give the Eagles a lead. In the bottom of the seventh, Perkins would again hit a single and force an error that allowed two more Eagles to score and put the game out of reach for KSU.

The Eagles will be back in action today and Saturday in a four-game series against conference opponents Ohio Christian University at home.

Softball

Mar. 23- The Eagles spilt their two game series against Midway University, storming back hard to win the second after losing 8-17 in the first.

In game one, the Eagles went behind early, but a melt down late game killed off their chances of a comeback. Trailing 9-5 going into the seventh inning, the Eagles went on to allow eight runs. Despite the looks of a late rally via a three-run homerun by senior Kateland Hunter, there was too much ground to make up in one inning.

On a positive note, the late game momentum carried over for the Eagles into game two. Midway was shut down on offense while the Eagles ran up the score quickly, the scored five runs in the third inning to go up 8-0. Another run for Asbury in the bottom of the fourth ended the game via mercy rule after Midway failed to score their next time at bat.

Softball will play a doubleheader today against Berea College at home.

Men’s Tennis

Mar. 23- Asbury was shutout 9-0 after a day of matches against Lindsey Wilson College. The Blue Raiders are ranked 7th in the NAIA and have two players ranked in the top 50. Asbury junior Joshua Abraham kept things close in the first set against LW’s Denis Porcic, but lost the match 6-3, 6-1. Asbury junior Ty Abraham had a hard time in his match as well, dropping the first set 6-1. He nearly clawed back into the match in the second set but ended up losing 6-4.

Results were about the same across the board for the Eagles as no one was able to pull out a win in a single set. Besides Ty, the closest came in the doubles team of freshmen Aquille Troutman and Julian Tellez who finished their game on the losing end of a 8-5 score line.

There will be some time to rest for the Eagles as they wait for their next match on April 9 against Indiana University Southeast.