March Madness Update

Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

We’re over halfway through the tournament and what a wild ride it’s been. While the left side of the bracket has been relatively surprise free, the right side has descended into predictably, unpredictable madness the tournament is used to. Here are the biggest stories so far.

#10 Syracuse vs. #11 Gonzaga is a matchup that very few expected to see at the onset of the tournament. With pre-tournament favorite Michigan State leaving early, the door really opened up in the Midwest. ESPN reported that there was only a three percent chance before the tournament started that Bulldogs and Orange would meet. With the heaviest hitters out of the picture, a win for either team could set up a likely meeting with Virginia and a possible ticket to the final four.

#6 Notre Dame almost found themselves on the losing end of an upset with their 76-75 win over #14 SF Austin. It wasn’t the type of game that inspires a lot of confidence going into a matchup with #7 Wisconsin who are fresh off a big win against two-seed Xavier. Look for the Badgers to smell blood and advance.

#1 Kansas and North Carolina still look like the favorites of the tournament so far. Both have had no trouble in their first two games. UNC will play #5 Indiana University tonight for a spot in the Elite Eight, if they win, they’ll have an easier path into the championship than the Jayhawks will. Kansas still has to play Villanova and either Oregon or Oklahoma if it wants a shot at the title.