Weekly Recap: Week of Feb 22

Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

Softball

Feb. 22- It was a hard start to the season for the Eagles softball team, they lost both games in a double header against Union College. In game one, the Eagles went down early. After a scoreless first inning, Union came alive scoring five unanswered runs in the second.

It took until the fourth inning for the Eagles to really come alive. Freshman Jordan Manthi hit a double that allowed fellow freshman Keely Moussette to score. Manthei would later go on to score herself. That game ended 9-3 Union.

Game two wasn’t much better for the Eagles. Despite a bright start that saw them take the lead, Asbury was overpowered in the second, shipping ten runs off five hits. He game would end by mercy rule after the fifth inning 11-3.

Their next game is on Feb. 26 against Christian Brothers University.

Baseball

Feb. 23- A late breakdown ended up costing the Eagles a win against a good team from the University of Pikeville.

For most of the game, the Eagles were on the winning end of a 2-1 score line. But as the game went on, mental lapses at the end of the seventh inning saw Pikeville score seven. The Eagles had four errors and allowed eight hits as the home team took a commanding lead.

Even with a late rally, Asbury couldn’t dig themselves out of the hole. They would go on to lose 8-5.

Their next game will be a doubleheader Feb. 26 at home against Ohio Christian University.

Men’s Basketball

Feb. 24- And the season finally comes to an end. After a bumpy start to the season, the Eagles looked to be firmly outside of the postseason picture. But after a late surge in the final stretch, they went on to win their last three regular season games and qualify for the KIAC Conference Tournament despite the odds.

But the story would end there; the Eagles went on to lose in the tournament’s opening round 91-75 against Indiana University East.

Ultimately, it was an IUE hot streak in the second half that finished the game off. The Eagles shot poorly the first half (36 percent FG) with the exception of freshman Trenton Thompson who would go 11-18 from the field and score 25 points.

In the second half, the Eagles picked up but it wasn’t good enough. A scoring streak put IUE up by 20 points with ten minutes to go with the team shooting at over 70 percent from the field.

The Eagles end their season with a 15-16 record.

Women’s Basketball

Feb. 24- They made it look easy. Up 24-10 against Carlow University at the end of the first quarter, the Eagles didn’t let off the gas as they kept pushing to win big and move onto the semifinals of the conference tournament.

Of the four Eagles that reached double-digit points, the biggest performance of the night game from junior Brittany Warren. Warren finished the game with 18 points, a total that puts her at 1,000 points for her career. She joined her senior teammates Catie Fletcher and Kylee Gorby to be the third active Eagle with 1,000 career points. She’s now the thirteenth player in Asbury history to reach that milestone.

After the 95-65 win against Carlow, the Eagles will go on to play Indiana University Southeast on Saturday Feb. 27 at home in the KIAC semifinals.