Week in Review: January 22

By Zack Penalva, Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

Jan. 12- If only every week was this easy. The women’s team made the trip up to Cincinnati to take on Cincinnati Christian University in a KIAC matchup. Asbury led CCU 41-11 after the first quarter and extended that lead to lead to 65-20 by the end of the second quarter, largely on the back of a great performance from senior Catie Fletcher. Fletcher shot 9-13 on the night, including five three-pointers, on her way to 23 points.

For much of the second half of the game, Fletcher, along with many of the other regular starters got some time to rest. The Eagles’ bench was more than up to the task, finishing the game off with a final score of 103-50. The next game is on Jan. 16 at 2 p.m.

Men’s Basketball

Jan. 12- While the Asbury’s women might have coasted to the finish, that was definitely not the case for the men’s team in their game against CCU. The overtime win was a combination of great team effort mixed in with a truly standout performance from senior Kristian Svendsen.

But if the Eagles bench played their part with 18 total points, Svendsen was without a doubt at center stage. His impressive stat line (21 points, 10-15 shooting, seven rebounds, three blocks and three steals) included two career highs for points scored and blocks made.

The win is their second in a row and puts the Eagles back even at 3-3 in the KIAC going into their next game against conference-opponent Indiana University Kokomo. That game will take place at home on Jan. 16.