Weekly Recap: November 6

By Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer Finishes Regular Season On Top

Nov. 5- It’s been an incredible month for women’s soccer. Since losing to KIAC opponent West Virginia Tech University back on Oct. 8, the Eagles have been on an incredible run of form. With their 4-1 win over Cincinnati Christian University in the last game, their winning streak extends to six games. During that stretch of wins, they’ve scored 21 goals and only conceded twice.

Against CCU, the Eagles opened the scoring in the first half through a new source, freshman forward Devon Long. It was Long’s first goal of the year. As the game went on, the usual suspects took over with senior Teryn Wright scoring two (13 goals on the season) and freshman Emily Hubbuch scoring one (9 goals).

The Eagles are the number one seed for the KIAC tournament and will start in the semifinal round. Depending on who wins the quarterfinal, they’ll either get a rematch against CCU or a chance at revenge against WVT.

Volleyball Falls in Five-Set Match

Nov. 3- It was sure to be a disappointing loss for the Eagles against Kentucky State University in a match where neither team really looked stronger than the other on paper. In attack, the Eagles were a better team, putting up 67 kills with a .304 hitting percentage compared to KSU’s 57 kills and .235 hitting pct. On defense, Asbury matched KSU with 58 digs apiece. Ultimately, the stats don’t tell the whole story as the Eagles still lost the second, third and fifth sets to lose that match.

Next on the schedule is the Eagles’ final conference game of the regular season against Point Park University on Nov. 7.

Men’s Soccer Loses in High Scoring Game

Nov. 2- After trading the lead back in forth for 90 minutes, the Eagles came up on the losing end of a 5-4 score line against St. Catherine College. After sophomore Ryan Metcalf opened the scoring in the third minute off a cross from junior Doug Ward. SCC fought back and took a 2-1 lead into halftime. Senior Jesse Peterson finally opened his scoring account for the season in the second half, grabbing the equalizer in the 51st minute.

After another goal from SCC, Ward nailed a free kick into the top right corner and Metcalf got another goal to put the Eagles up 4-3. With 15 minutes to go SCC turned up the pressure, and was able to score two goals in quick succession. It was the final change of lead for the night, as the Eagles just couldn’t find a way to draw even.

Despite the poor result, it was a game that featured good individual performances. It’s a positive that the Eagles will need to take into their next game, the KIAC quarterfinals, on Nov. 7.