Thile Thrills at Concert

By Landers Pannell, Contributing Writer

Students and locals alike were gifted with the presence of a musical legend and Grammy award-winning artist on Nov. 3. Musical artist Chris Thile performed in Hughes Auditorium as a part of the Asbury University Artist Series. Attendees were blown away by the musical performance. “He was absolutely phenomenal, like nothing I had heard before. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert and hope he comes back,” said junior Andrew King.

Thile is the lead musician and singer for multiple bands including Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers. He has also created a folk album with fellow masters of music, Yo Yo Ma, Stuart Dunkin and Edgar Meyer. All this is in addition to his very popular solo career.

It took Asbury a couple years before they were able to host such a legend. “About two to three years ago, I presented Chris Thile to the Artist Series Committee, being a long time fan and being highly inspired by his music,” said art professor Chris Segre Lewis. “During the past year Chris’ manager got in touch with us with an availability, once we confirmed I was super excited.”

According to Lewis, Thile was a perfect candidate for the Artist Series. “Chris is a rare genius that has gifting which transcends his instrument. He is not only the best there is on the mandolin, he is the best there ever was and arguably will be. He is a living artifact. His grasp of using music to influence and communicate mood and experience is world class.”

It was truly amazing to have Chris Thile here playing in our very own Hughes Auditorium. Students have Professor Segre Lewis to thank for the amazing performance on campus. He hopes to have more artists like him come back very soon and maybe even another performance from Thile.

“I let him know he is always welcome here in Wilmore,” said Segre Lewis.  He seemed to be quite enamored by our little town; especially Solomon’s Porch. I found it quite charming that he was really considering the specialness of Wilmore.”