The Weekly Recap: November 13

By Zack Penalva, Sports Editor

Bumpy Start to the Season for Women’s Basketball

Nov. 12- Last night’s 83-68 loss to Shawnee State University puts the Eagles at 2-3 for the season as they try to find groove for the season. After last year’s incredible run to the national tournament, this year’s Asbury team has yet to match their level. Against SSU, a combination of poor shooting and soft defending got the Eagles in trouble. Asbury shot 37 percent from the floor and an abysmal 28 percent from three-point range. It’s shooting that seemed uncharacteristic of a usually sound Eagles team. The team will get a week off before kicking off their KIAC campaign against Point Park University.

Soccer Season Comes to a Close

Nov. 12- Both the men and women’s teams made it to the semifinals of the KIAC tournament, but both had the door to the finals firmly shut. The men traveled to Ohio to face the conference leaders, University of Rio Grande. URG went up early, scoring five unanswered goals in the first 60 minutes. The Eagles responded with goals from senior Jesse Peterson and junior Zack Andrews before Rio Grande put in another goal to end the contest at 6-2.

For the women, a goal in the 20th minute from West Virginia Tech’s Alexandra Klein proved to be the difference. Senior Brooke Perkins made seven saves for the Eagles as they attempted to attack and find an equalizer, but for a team that had scored 21 times in their past seven games, the goals had finally run out.