Social Media: Harmful or Beneficial?

By Delaney Tufts, Contributing Writer

Nowadays, when I’m walking out in public, I’m constantly faced with the accusations of being one of those people. “This generation and their attachment with their phones; I almost feel sorry for them.” This is a phrase that often plays out as I quickly check my phone for an update on Facebook or a text message from a friend.

I’ve heard countless adults criticize the millennial generation for always being on their phones, having them attached at the hip. Some adults assume that because we are more of a technologically advanced generation that we lack communication skills. But is this something to feel sorry for us about? Is social media damaging our generation?

Because of this on going battle between our generation and our parent’s generation, I wanted to dig a little deeper into this issue and find out what my generation felt about social media.

“Spending too much time texting is harmful to us,” said sophomore Tiara Brand. “We need face to face interaction with each other. We could be sitting across from each other texting instead of talking and that could damage some of our relationships with one another.”

Brand mentioned she saw families sitting together at restaurants, not saying a word to each other, just on their phones. “Why would people want to meet up and sit down to dinner if all they’re going to do is be on their phones?” Like what’s the point in that?”

Making a similar point to Brand, sophomore Josh Becht said that he’s seen people on their phones while driving. “They can’t even put down their phones to drive, can’t focus on one thing,” said Becht. “Or even waiting in line for things, people get bored and pull out their phones instead of talking to the people around them. Bad thing about today’s world is that people don’t know how to communicate.”

Be present with people; there is only a certain amount of time to be with everyone

Taking on the opposite side of the argument, others believe social media is helpful. “Technology helps greatly because it’s the only form of communication with a long distance relationship,” said junior Savannah Riley. “When you’re not with that certain person all the time, you can figure out what’s going on in their lives and feel connected with them.”

Becht, also taking on a similar point as Riley, said “I think using technology can do both, strengthen and harm, but mostly strengthen because you wouldn’t meet with new people without.”

When asked how this would apply to him he said “I used twitter to meet some new people in high school. It’s how you use technology with your actions that chooses whether it’s beneficial or harmful to you.”

Giving advice to anyone struggling with this sort of problem Becht suggested to “Be present with people; there is only a certain amount of time to be with everyone; get to know them while you can. Four years is short. Be present in the moment; be with them.”

Some of our generation seems to be aware of this problem amongst us. A possible solution would be choosing to use social media at appropriate times. When going out with friends and family, it would be better to be present and live in the moment. While on the other hand, catching up with long distance friends would be a good time to use social media.

Although we may live in a more technologically advanced generation, the way we choose to live our lives without distractions from social media will benefit the relationships we share amongst one another.