Men’s basketball preview

By Abby Witt, Sports Writer

In Kentucky, there are five seasons: Fall, Winter, Summer, Spring and basketball. As we move into the middle fall, the anticipation of basketball season is on the rise.

The Asbury University Men’s Basketball team has been preparing for their new season after some changes from the previous season. So far, the adjustment has smooth. The preseason poll has set high hopes for the Eagles, placing second in the Capital Division and Fifth overall in the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

Leading the Capital Division is Brescia University while Indiana University East takes the top spot in the KIAC preseason poll.

“This season we brought back most of our team and we are very experienced and deep after last season’s run. We are still a pressing team, we still push the ball in transition, and we play ‘Asbury Basketball’ as the coaches say,” said Senior Todd Jefferson.

The biggest loss for the Eagles is undoubtedly CJ Penny, one of the most dominate players Asbury has had. On the plus side, the team has remained strong as a whole. Last season, the Eagles suffered a loss of a major player after Kyle Lamb was injured and unable to finish the season.

The Eagles are excited to welcome back Kyle Lamb in his senior season after a great recovery on his part. His first game back in a little over eight months ago was in the season opener for the Eagles.

On Oct. 30, 2015, the Eagles found themselves in Nashville, Tenn., taking home the win against Welch College by a score of 87-54. This marked the fourth straight season opening win for Asbury.

Our team dynamic is very close. We all get along well. We are a family.

When it comes to the season ahead, the goals are aimed high. “The goal is always to win the conference and make the national tournament, and I believe we have a great chance to do that this year with the team we have,” said Jefferson.

Talented players and great coaching are not the only way to a successful season. It takes a dedicated team with great enthusiasm and a certain level of team morality to truly succeed. When it comes to Asbury, the players have it together.

Jefferson noted the family aspect that drive the Eagles. “Our team dynamic is very close. We all get along well. We are a family. Everyone wants the best for the team, whether that’s sacrificing minutes or points for the greater good of the team, our guys are willing to do that in order for us to be successful,” said Jefferson.