ASC approves new mock trial club

By Katie Ellington, News Editor

Starting next semester, Asbury students will be able to research, rhetoric and teamwork skills in a new way.

“We will competitively argue fake court cases against both each other, as a team, and against other school’s mock trial teams,” said freshman Elijah Lutz, whose charter for a Mock Trial club passed ASC last Tuesday. Lutz says the club will also give students the opportunity to learn about the legal system and become more proficient in public speaking, analytical thinking and debate.

“Mock trial gives students a chance to see what really happens in a courtroom scenario,” said Matthew Pertz, the club’s vice president and ASC representative. “Many students don’t realize how much preparation can go into building a case or how many people are necessary to create an argument.”

After four years of participating in his high school mock trial club, Lutz was disappointed to find that there was no club at Asbury. Once he decided to create one, he began working with Pertz, Executive Cabinet and even the Mock Trial executive board at the University of Kentucky.

“We’re so glad we have the opportunity to help Elijah create a program for the students at Asbury,” said Lauren Williams, the president of UK’s team. “I have no doubt the program will flourish under his leadership.”

The club will begin meeting next semester and possibly scrimage UK’s team sometime in the spring. Lutz hopes to see a variety of undergraduate students participate, no matter their major or if they’ve had previous experience. Interested students should attend the informational meeting on Dec. 1 at 9 p.m. in the Kinlaw board room or email Lutz at elijah.lutz@asbury.edu.

“Many students don’t realize how much preparation can go into building a case…”