Political realities: Donald Trump

By Matthew Jackson, Staff Writer

The 2016 presidential election has been one I have personally been looking forward to for many years. I have always been a rather odd child, greatly fascinated by American politics and feeling a certain draw towards it. The process of a presidential campaign has been one that has fascinated me for years, with much anticipation building for my opportunity to participate in electing a Commander-in-Chief.

Not once did I ever consider that the man I grew up knowing as the star of NBC’s reality television series, The Apprentice, Donald Trump, would be a front-runner for the presidency.

Donald Trump has accomplished many feats in his lifetime. There is no denying his successful, businessman appeal. However, Trump has always been known as someone who is far from polite with his words, often making misogynistic comments directed towards any woman who crosses his path. One cannot help but question Trump’s intentions when he makes statements to Rolling Stone, such as, “I’m at the point in my life where I could do anything. (So) I said, ‘I’m going to take the risk of running for president.’” In wanting to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate, this may be Trump’s greatest problem — that he has little regard for the words he uses, or towards whom they are directed at.

In recent months, much of Donald Trump’s campaign has been centered on using a strong vocabulary to stir the emotions of an angry American public. In doing so, the Trump campaign has succeeded in overlooking those who may be in need to satisfy the opinions of an angry public.

For example, comments directed towards America’s rapidly growing Hispanic population, such as, “I will build a great, and nobody builds walls better than me … and I will make Mexico pay for that wall”, solidify Trump’s issue with being out of touch. Instead of promoting a more comprehensive plan of allowing immigrants to gain citizenship through a fair process, Trump simply initiates an argument that they are not welcome.

What may be the most surprising part of the Trump campaign is that much of his arguments against political correctness have been used to win over the Christian community. While I do not believe that as Christians — which Trump claims to be — we are called to be “politically correct,” I do know that we are called to be gentle and sincere with our words. As Ephesians 4:29 states, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”

Donald Trump is not just a representation of our current political state; he is a representative for what our idea of a modern politician should be. He is direct, unafraid to speak his mind, and willing to talk over any opponent in debate. Donald Trump embodies the opinions of an angry public, tired of feeling overlooked by career politicians. That is what the campaign of Donald Trump thus far has represented — anger. As Proverbs 15:1 says, “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

While Trump’s ability to represent the angry emotions of some may bring him political success, it only hinders the growth our country needs, which can only be accomplished through a unified spirit. With that being said, Americans who seek change for their country must also seek a leader who is fitting to bring about that change. I challenge us to consider whether a politician who is as brash as Donald Trump is the individual we need to unify and lead our country through a time of neeI do hope Mr. Trump is one that I hope to see succeed in other aspects of his vast and multifaceted career, such as real estate and reality television. And while I do not take Donald Trump seriously as a presidential candidate, I greatly look forward to what he does offer to the upcoming year of the 2016 presidential campaign: a fantastic season of Saturday Night Live.