Week in Review

BASEBALL

It was a very rough start to the season for Asbury’s baseball team last weekend as they lost four consecutive games to Martin Methodist College by a combined score of 49-12 (4-1, 12-1, 20-1, 13-9). The Eagles’ offense sputtered in the earlier games, but their nine runs in the final game was a bright spot, even if it wasn’t enough for the win. If the team hopes to reach the 20 wins benchmark set at the beginning of the season by head coach Manny Cervantes, they’ll need to get back on track when they play a doubleheader at home against Bluefield College today at 1 p.m.

Men’s Basketball

Despite being tied for the best home record in the KIAC (13-1) the loss against Alice Lloyd College on Feb. 6 put the Eagle’s at 1-6 when they play away from home this season. With the season coming to an end, the Eagles have two more away games before returning to Wilmore for a rematch against Alice Lloyd. Currently second in the KIAC with a 7-3 record in conference play, Saturday’s game against Indiana University Southeast (tip-off at 2 p.m.) could have big implications on the conference standings.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s team broke the 20-win mark for their season with their win against at Alice Lloyd College last Friday. It’s the third consecutive 20-win season for the women’s team. Even with a winning record, poor conference play has the Eagles sitting at fifth in the KIAC with a 6-4 record. The game against Indiana University Southeast is the first in a three-game run of conference matchups that the Eagles need to win in order to claw their way back up the table.