Week in Review

Men’s Basketball

It was revenge for Indiana University Southeast when they defeated the Eagles 75-55 last Saturday. It was the fourth consecutive away loss for the Eagles and it brought their overall record to 18-9. Despite a team-high 16 points from sophomore Tyler Smith, the Eagles’ offense struggled to produce the whole game as they went 19-66 shooting for a FG% of .280. Asbury is currently tied for second in the KIAC South and their final ranking will determine their seeding for the KIAC tournament that starts on Feb. 24.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s trip to Indiana University Southeast had a much happier ending after they defeated the Grenadiers 67-51. The Eagles had 12 different players see time on the court as they beat IU-Southeast for the second time this year. Sophomore Brittany Warren led the team with 15 points while senior Annissia Wood scored 13 off the bench. Currently leading the KIAC South, the game on Feb. 21 against Alice Lloyd at home will be their last of the regular season.

Men’s Tennis

Last Saturday also marked the start of the spring season for men’s tennis. Away at Bellarmine University in Louisville, the Eagle’s lost their matchup 7-2. Of the two points picked up by Asbury, one came from sophomore Deuce Gibson who won his singles match on the tiebreak after dropping the first set. The other win came from the doubles team of seniors Nathan Schley and Scott Layton. The team will travel to the Lexington Tennis Club to face Campbellsville University today at 12 p.m.

Swimming

Three days of competition came to an end last Saturday at the Appalachian Swim Conference Championships in Christiansburg, VA. Asbury’s men’s team ended up placing 10th overall out of 12 while the women finished 11th of 13. Individually, several Eagles qualified for the NAIA National Championships in Oklahoma. On the men’s side, Senior Graham Duncan qualified for the 200 fly and freshman CJ Moritz qualified in the 100 free, 100 fly and 100 back. For the women, junior Sara Henderson will compete at Nationals in the 200 free along with junior Kayley Valentien in the 400 IM. The freshman duo of Susanna Hall and Natasha Oduor-Owino will join them in the 100 free and 200 breast respectively.

Women’s Lacrosse

It couldn’t have been a much better start for the season for the women’s lacrosse team as they destroyed Truett-McConnell College 17-1 in their first ever game. Freshman midfielder Taylor Papadakis scored five, while fellow freshmen Melina Martinez and Savannah Neese chipped in with four goals apiece. The team’s next scheduled game is against Robert Morris University-Springfield on Feb. 27 at 5 p.m.