Well-Played: Metamorphoses a Comedic Success

By Cassie Gerhardstein
Contributing Writer

I was skeptical when I heard that Asbury’s fall theater production was going to be a series of Greek mythology vignettes. Not only was this topic completely different than anything I’ve encountered during my four years at Asbury, but Greek mythology is never something that particularly interested me.

Nevertheless, I was curious about the show, and at the end of the night, I was not disappointed.

Asbury’s performance of Metamorphoses was modern, unique and hilarious. The set included contemporary dangling lights, majestic white columns and a pool of water in the center of the stage. Although the stage appeared simple, these elements were versatile enough to bring each individual scene to life. This unique set design kept the audience interested and added an element of surprise.

Senior Jamie Baker especially enjoyed the dynamic set. “The play was super great; I liked that there was a pool in the center of the stage. The only thing I wish they would have done was had towels ready. If you sat in the front row, [you got] splashed,” Baker said.

The actors told the ancient Greek tales with a modern, comical twist. Because each scene told the story of a different mythological character, there was significant diversity in the theme and structure. Theatre & Cinema Performance Program Coordinator Jeff Day said this was one of the primary reasons the show was chosen.

“It’s important in the education of our actors to do different things…it will be interesting for the audience to see this kind of thing,” Day said. The characters in the show typically posed as more contemporary, relatable personalities. While some scenes had a more classic mythological feel, such as the tragic love story of Ceyx and Alcyone performed by Emma Fitch and Nathanael Taylor, most stories had a modern interpretation.

Sophomore Chandler Vance played the son of Helios, the god of the Sun, as a spoiled rich kid with a frat-boy persona. Comedic elements were consistent as well. It was impossible not to laugh at sophomore Bryce Shockley’s array of extravagant costumes.

From a shirtless god of love to an old lady in a full-length dress, Shockley got the audience roaring.

Senior Nick Crockett appreciated how applicable the themes were to modern life. “The show told many stories that are relatable to everyday: Don’t be greedy and love all people…simple stuff like that,” Crockett said.

Other elements that contributed to the contemporary portrayal were the modern pop songs played between set changes, current clothing styles and the present-day language. Needless to say, my preconceived notions about the show were all wrong. It was hilarious, well acted and relatable.