And the Oscar goes to…not Leo. Again

Five reasons we should just give Leo an Oscar already

By Sarah Choate
Features Editor

While his most recent lead role in “Wolf of Wallstreet” was distasteful to say the least, the good-folk of the Internet have rallied behind the beloved Leonardo DiCaprio in his pursuit of the prestigious little gold-man statue given to the best of the best in show biz — Academy Award Winners. Although Leo has been acting since before he joined the family sit-com, “Growing Pains” alongside Kirk Cameron, the heartthrob of poorly-made Christian films (yes, I’m referencing “Left Behind”) in 1985. Leo has officially been snubbed of recognition one too many times.

1. His portrayal of Jack Dawson in “Titanic”
This is the role for which Lenny D. is best known. “Titanic” has become a classic—one of the kinds that you can almost always find playing on a cable channel on a lonely Saturday night.  Here’s the shocker: not only did DiCaprio not snag the Oscar, he didn’t even receive a nomination. The Academy clearly made an abhorrent misjudgment and should rectify this injustice immediately.

2. His role in Baz Luhrmann’s interpretation of “The Great Gatsby”
While Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby” received mixed reviews, you can’t deny that Leo brought all the glamour and sophistication of the 1920’s nouveu riche to the big screen. This particular performance of his might not have been what is traditionally considered “Oscar-worthy,” however his skill in playing the tortured Jay Gatsby showed that DiCaprio is not one to back away from a challenge and is willing to try anything in a role.

3. His status of “heartthrob” in teen ‘90s teen magazines to his continued presence in tabloids
For decades, Leo has been considered a hunk. However, in addition to not receiving his due Oscar, he has not yet won the title of People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive.” Just look at those clear, blue eyes—that smile. Give this man a trophy, if only to honor his beauty.

4. His loyal fanbase
DiCaprio’s fans have stood behind him through his good times and bad. During this year’s Academy Awards, the hashtags “#GiveLeoAnOscar” and “#PoorLeo” were trending on twitter worldwide. The people love Leo, so the Academy should love Leo too.

5. If we don’t support his good films, he might get involved with another “wolfy” film.
DiCaprio played his character in “Wolf of Wallstreet” well, however, this movie was way below his usual moral standards. If the Academy doesn’t intervene soon, Leo’s standards might continue declining until we hardly recognize his acting genius in the shadow of the grossness of the roles he chooses. Do the right thing. Just give Leo an Oscar.