Senior Eagles swim their last lap

By Ashley Walls
Sports Editor

Seven Asbury swimmers swam their last laps at home last Saturday in their final home meet of the season, as the women’s team defeated Urbana University 127-66, and the men defeated Urbana 103-91 on Feb. 1.   

“It was really fun, but it was bittersweet,” said senior Ruth Klein, one of the six seniors from the women’s team. Along with Klein, seniors Katie Duncan, Kirsten Joss, Rebecca Landry, Cali Thomas and Leah Fanning will be leaving the women’s team after this season, while senior Jimmy Hall will be leaving the men’s team.

“They’re all good leaders,” sophomore swimmer Sara Henderson said. “They keep us in line, and they were really good to have coming in as freshmen. We’ll miss them in the pool, but also the laughs that we had. Like I said, they’re big leaders so we’ll miss that, too.”
Sophomore swimmer Graham Duncan, brother to senior swimmer Katie Duncan, says one of the things he’ll miss the most about the senior swimmers is their experience. “They’re really good people,” he said. “They showed me how to compete and how to be a Christian, and that those are not two separate things…I’m going to miss having them around.”

For now, both teams will be preparing for their next meet in the Appalachian Swim Conference in Christiansburg, Va. at 9 a.m. on Feb. 13. As the seniors prepare to wrap up their final swimming season, both Henderson and Graham share their parting words for their soon-to-be departing teammates.

“Just follow the Lord,” Duncan said. “If they just keep that in their hearts, they can’t go wrong.”

Henderson agrees. “Whatever you do, do for the glory of God,” she said. “That’s all that matters.”