KIAC championship game

By Amanda Jones
Contributing Writer

The Asbury Eagles women’s soccer team will be playing in the KIAC championship game this Saturday after defeating Cincinnati Christian University on Tuesday by a score of 3-2. 

Both teams struggled to keep possession of the ball at the beginning of the game, as great defense on both ends made it difficult to take the ball down the field. Asbury finally got on the board with just over 27 minutes to go in the first half. Sophomore Jenna Bird passed to freshman Shanda Painter to score the goal, giving Asbury a 1-0 lead. 

Asbury added another goal to the scoreboard as Shanda Painter netted the ball for her second goal of the game with 14:07 left before halftime. Asbury’s relentless defense held Cincinnati Christian scoreless throughout the entire first half. At halftime, Asbury was on top by a score of 2-0.

Asbury’s 2-0 lead began to shrink as senior Sarah Goforth scored Cincinnati Christian’s first goal of the game just 4:41 into the second half. The game turned into a nailbiter as Cincinnati Christian totally closed the gap, which was created in the first half, and tied the game at 2-2 with 32:16 left in the game. 

Play was much more physical in the second half than the first. After a foul was called on Cincinnati Christian, midfielder Toria Howard scored the goal that would finally put Asbury on top again after being tied for 15:36. 

Asbury kept Cincinnati Christian University scoreless for the remainder of the game with pestering defense and physical play. Asbury will fight for the KIAC championship title and the automatic bid to nationals on Nov. 9 at 2 p.m.