The Asbury Review passes the mic

The Asbury Review hosts its first coffeehouse reading

By Kerry Steinhofer
Social Media Specialist

The Asbury Review, Asbury’s own literary and visual arts publication, faithfully publishes poetry, prose and artwork once every semester. On Oct. 10, the Review put on the first of what will likely be a long tradition of coffeehouse readings. 

“After talking to Jordyn Rhorer, last semester’s editor, and Dr. Hurlow, we bounced around the idea of having a coffeehouse reading before the Review actually came out,” said this semester’s editor, Kelsey Campbell. “I thought it would be a great chance for our fellow writers to share their work with the Asbury community. “

The reading featured a group of creative writing students who read a wide variety of pieces throughout the event.  

All of the pieces that were shared were intriguing and very well-written. One that really stood out to me was Emily Howle’s piece, which was a nonfiction memoir. 

At first, I didn’t know what to expect. Howle read the title of her piece, which was just a static noise, but the audience could feel the emotion and intensity of the story. 

Howle’s story left a lasting mark. By focusing on a specific instance with her mother at a Dunkin’ Donuts drive-thru, it showed how much mothers sacrifice for their children. They do everything they can to give their children everything they deserve. Her mom was strong and able to raise an even stronger daughter. 

Kelsey Campbell, editor of the Asbury Review, joined Sarah Choate, Karis Rogerson, Jordyn Rhorer, Rebecca Price and Claire Hill in sharing poems and stories throughout the night. 

Claire Hill’s reading especially stood out, as she was one of the only writers to read a fiction piece. The piece she read had a science-fiction angle and was written in different points of view. Though the story was a little hard to follow without seeing the breaks in points of view, it was very well-written. Hill has an excellent writing style that her fiction stories really show off. 

The readings, overall, showed a unique side of every writer who read. It was interesting to see that even though different writing styles were represented, everyone seemed to have the same goal—to be able to share their stories and express their feelings in a unique and creative way. 

The fall issue of the Asbury Review will be released around the second week of November. “I am so pleased with how many people have already submitted work,” said Campbell. “Even students who aren’t creative writing majors are sending in pieces, which I think is great.”
Campbell encourages everyone to pick up a free copy of the Review when it comes out.

“Speaking as a writer, we want our words and stories to be heard,” she said. “And for a lot of us, getting published in the Review is one of the pinnacles of our college career…. As artists, we want to be heard. That’s why we create.”