Letter to the Editor: Robin Thicke’s misconstrued message?

In response to, “The ‘Blurred Lines’ of rape culture,” by Sarah Choate

By Rachel Taber

Real talk, I can see where you draw those parallels between Robin Thicke’s lyrics and the characteristics of a rapist. I watch a lot of Law and Order and it’s true that rapists do use phrases that make them feel superior to their victims such as “I know you want it” or “You’re a good girl”… even so far as to say “Do you like it hurt?”. (I’ll just note also that I know guys who tell their girls “I know you want it baby”… and I don’t think rape is going on there. But I digress.)

However, I don’t believe that is what Robin Thicke was going for when he wrote this song and I believe it is inaccurate for one to assume that this is rape culture out to preach. It could also easily be argued that he is speaking more to the topic of adultery than rape. Perhaps he is suggesting that the “blurred lines” are the masks the girl is wearing between the life she has with a man who is trying to domesticate her and a man she really wants to bang. She is seen as a good girl, but is asking for casual, but dirty sex. I am not by any means suggesting this is morally ok or right. It is, I hope we all understand, not Christ like. But it is the culture we live in and I think we need to recognize there is such thing as getting freaky in the sheets. Robin Thicke, much like Marvin Gaye, sings much about love making and his lyrics are super sexy and directed to his gorgeous wife. If you listen to Robin Thicke talk about the song he actually says he wrote it to make people happy. Thicke comments, “The idea was when we made this song, we had nothing but the most respect for women. I mean, I’ve been with the same woman since I was a teenager. For us, we were just trying to make a fun song and sometimes the lyrics can get misconstrued when you’re just trying to put people on the dance floor and have a good time. We had no idea that it would stir this much controversy. We only had the best intentions.”

“Blurred lines” and rape culture? No. I truly don’t think so. Just a song that is not so clean and, therefore, easily misconstrued.