Lady Eagles win first game of the season

By Zach Penalva
Contributing Writer

There were four different goal scorers for Asbury in their 4-2 win over Oakland City University last Saturday. Andrea Hasik started the scoring off in the first half while Shanda Painter, Jenna Bird and Maddye Hahn sealed the Eagles’s first win of the season. Hasik’s goal was a result of good positioning as well as a smart ball played in low across the box from midfielder Cassie Holland. Holland was one of Asbury’s most dangerous players throughout the first half as she consistently was able to provide service into the box from the right side.

Asbury’s fortunes changed less than five minutes after the first goal though, as one of the Eagles’ several defensive lapses of the game led to a penalty kick for OCU. Sloane Salisbury pulled down an attacker in the box, allowing OCU midfielder Christina Haag to convert from 12 yards. One goal was almost followed up by another for Oakland City after forward Mary Lee took advantage of a mistake by the Asbury defense and was in on goal.

Luckily for the Eagles, defender Kathryn Hale was able to recover and win the ball back inside of her own 18-yard box. The Eagles nearly took the lead two minutes before the half after OCU’s goal- keeper fumbled a cross from Holland inside the 18-yard box. Shanda Painter was the first to get on the ball, but her shot was well wide of the target. 

Painter was able to redeem herself three minutes into the second half after a cross found her alone at the back post and she slotted home. This goal kicked off a long period of domination by the Eagles as they shut down OCU on every touch of the ball. An OCU corner nearly led to an Asbury goal after the ball was cleared to the feet of Jenna Bird. Bird took the ball from box to box and was unlucky to see her initial shot blocked. Her hard work was rewarded on the next attack though when she one-timed a low cross into an open goal.

As the Eagles attempted to slow down the tempo and ride the 3-1 score line out, Oakland City turned up the pressure and pulled a goal back eight minutes from time after a corner kick wasn’t cleared properly. Rather than continuing to sit back and defend, the Eagles took control of the game again and went on the attack for the games closing moments. This strategy paid off with another goal; Shanda Painter’s initial shot hit the feet of Maddye Hahn and bobbled across the line, killing off any chance for an Oakland City comeback.

Head coach Brooke Lincoln should be pleased with her team’s performance offensively, but should feel lucky that Oakland City wasted so many opportunities after beating the Eagle’s defense with speed. The Eagles have two games on the road against St. Catherine College and Campbellsville Uni- versity before returning home to take on conference rivals Berea College on Sept. 17.